Spiced Christmas cookies
Makes 24 cookies
Preparation time: 25 minutes, plus chilling
- 120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 1/4tsp grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4tsp grated or ground ginger
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cream together the butter and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, then add the sifted flour and spices and mix well.
- Stir in the beaten egg and mix well, forming a ball.
- Turn the mixture out and wrap in cling film; chill in the fridge for several hours to firm up.
- Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut into star shapes with a floured cutter.
- Lift the cookies carefully with a palette knife, and lay on oiled baking sheets. Gather up any scraps, put briefly in the freezer or ice compartment, then roll them out again in the same thickness and cut out more cookies.
- If you think you may like to hang the cookies on the Christmas tree, use a skewer to make holes for ribbon at this stage.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated moderate oven (180 degrees C/gas mark 4).
- Allow the biscuits to cool slightly before lifting off the baking sheet. Keep in an airtight tin.